Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Tuesday February 9, 2010 New Music

Back in November I wrote about a new Fear Factory song that had been leaked and now the full-length album that song appears on has been released. Early reviews that I've seen say Mechanize doesn't quite measure up to their classic albums Soul Of A New Machine or Demanufacture, but I don't think anyone expected it to. Still, being a fan of the band I am curious to hear what the reunion of vocalist Burton C. Bell and guitarist Dino Cazares along with the powerhouse rhythm section of Byron Stroud and Gene Hoglan sounds like.



Orphaned Land is an Israeli heavy metal band which is certainly not something that is exactly considered common. I have their 2007 release Mabool - The Story Of The Three Sons Of Seven and think it is a fairly interesting album. It isn't something I keep on my iPod or listen to on a regular basis as it falls under my "Opeth Rule"...ie. I have to very specifically be in the mood to listen to it. That being said, the album's seamless blend of prog metal, death metal and Middle Eastern influences is nothing short of extremely impressive, so I am curious about the new album The Never Ending Way Of ORwarriOR.



Overkill are one of my favorite bands from the 80's thrash movement and one day I am going to write an in depth blog about why I think they rule so much. Their formula hasn't changed much over the two plus decades they've been at it and I'm sure Ironbound qualifies as a "for fans only" album, but I'm a fan, so there you go. [Side Note: I know I'm getting old when I'm psyched for new albums from bands I've been listening to since 1989.]

No comments: