Monday, February 1, 2010

New DBT Music

One of my favorite bands, the Drive-By Truckers (who I've written about before) released a new song entitled "Birthday Boy" for download on their website today. This is the second song they've released from the forthcoming new album The Big To-Do (you can get the first one, "This Fucking Job", here) and based on these two tracks I'm beginning to get a gut feeling that it will be their best effort since their 2004 masterpiece The Dirty South. The albums released in between, A Blessing And A Curse and Brighter Than Creation's Dark, are both excellent in their own right, but the former sounded like a band divided (and Jason Isbell's departure after that album lends a fair amount of cred to that observation) and the latter sounded like a band trying to find their way again. These two new songs sound like the work of the well-oiled rock n roll machine the band was on earlier releases.

I guess I'll have to wait until March 16th to find out if my hunch about exactly how good the album will be is, but I know no matter what I won't be disappointed.

No comments: