#1 Yeah Yeah Yeahs – It’s Blitz
Yes, I love Karen O and I'm not afraid to admit it.
#2 Gallows – Grey Britain
"I keep a fresh razor blade in the sole of my shoes. It helps when I get stuck thinking of you."
#3 Converge – Axe To Fall
They just keep getting better and better.
#4 Heartless Bastards – The Mountain
The record I wanted Lucero to write this year....if Lucero had a female singer who was a much better vocalist than Ben Nichols.
#5 The Devin Townsend Project – Addicted!
Talk about appropriately named (if it was named Addictive! instead).
#6 Slayer – World Painted Blood
#7 Deer Tick – Born On Flag Day
Don't you love it when you accidentally stumble on a band and they wind up being a new favorite?
#8 Mastodon – Crack The Skye
Time Magazine may have given this record backhanded compliments, but even the mainstream now understands the genius of this band.
#9 The Big Pink – A Brief History Of Love
Damn you Brit pop, you've done it again.
#10 Goes Cube – Another Day Has Passed
Take some Helmet and Quicksand, punk it up, then thrash it up and call it Goes Cube.
#11 U2 – No Line On The Horizon
Yes, the first single sucked, but the rest of the album sure as hell didn't.
#12 Coalesce – Ox
Mama said knock you out.
#13 Kreator – Hordes of Chaos
Old school thrash bands are supposed to retire or really fail in the quality control department as years go on. Kreator did not get that memo.
#14 The Company Band – s/t
The best Clutch record since Pure Rock Fury.
#15 City Of Ships – Look What God Did To Us
God gave us this record.
#16 White Lies – To Lose My Life
Thanks for taking over for The Killers since they now suck.
#17 Future Of The Left – Travels With Myself And Another
"Lapsed Catholics are the worst."
#18 Alice In Chains – Black Gives Way To Blue
This record was supposed to fail, but it just definitively proved that Jerry Cantrell is/was the brains behind AIC.
#19 Katatonia – Night Is The New Day
I used to refer to this kind of music as "dork metal", but now I can't because I finally get it.
#20 Wolfmother – Cosmic Egg
And Wolfmother gives the sophomore slump the middle finger.
#21 Tombs – Winter Hours
The New York metal renaissance continues...
#22 Pelican – What We All Come To Need
Some people don't get this band. I'm not one of those people.
#23 A Place To Bury Strangers – Exploding Head
Sure they are ripping Jesus And Mary Chain off, but at least they are doing it well.
#24 Brand New – Daisy
Aren't these guys supposed to be generic pop punk/screamo crap?
#25 Telekinesis – Telekinesis!
I'm supposed to hate this kind of indie rock. Supposed to.
Honorable Mention (in alphabetical order):
- Agoraphobic Nosebleed – Agorapocalypse
- Animals As Leaders – s/t
- Baroness – The Blue Album
- Brutal Truth – Evolution Through Revolution
- Burnt By The Sun – Heart Of Darkness
- Neko Case – Middle Cyclone
- Celeste – Misanthrope(s)
- Dinosaur Jr. – Farm
- Drive-By Truckers – The Fine Print (A Collection Of Oddities and Rarities 2003 – 2008)
- Dysrhythmia – Psychic Maps
- Patterson Hood – Murdering Oscar (And Other Love Songs)
- L’Homme Puma - On Remplace Les Yeux Cassés
- Howl – s/t EP (can’t wait for the full length!)
- If These Trees Could Talk – Above The Earth, Below The Sky
- Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit – s/t
- Jay–Z – The Blueprint 3
- Jesu – Infinity / Opiate Sun
- Lucero – 1372 Overton Park
- Noisettes – Wild Young Heart
- Revocation – Existence Is Futile
- Russian Circles – Geneva
- Scale The Summit – Carving Desert Canyons
- Skeletonwitch – Breathing The Fire
- Wolves In The Throne Room – Black Cascade