Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Foo Fighters Shiny New Wheels

I love me some Foo Fighters. In my eyes, they really can do no wrong. Dave Grohl is probably the best rock frontman going today and will certainly go down in rock history as one of the best. Pretty impressive for a guy who was the drummer for one of the biggest rock bands of all time with one of the most iconic frontmen of all time (if you don't know who I'm talking about, then you should be ashamed of yourself). He had a HUGE shadow to emerge from and boy, did he ever. Speaking of drumming, his guest drums spots on great albums by Queens of the Stone Age, Killing Joke, Cat Power and Nine Inch Nails are all pretty undeniable and being a huge metalhead, I loved his metal side project Probot. I'm also very curious to hear what he does with the new "supergroup" Them Crooked Vultures, who I will be seeing live two nights in a row later this week.

Anyway, I love every Foo Fighters album, all the songs contained within those albums and have yet to hear a b-side of theirs that doesn't stand up to the material on their full-lengths. While I'd love to see a release that gathers all their b-sides and rarities into one collection (much like the absolutely amazing, brilliant and essential collections B-Sides And Rarities by Deftones and The Masterplan by Oasis), I am instead going to have to settle for the release of a greatest hits collection on 11/03/09 - cleverly titled "Greatest Hits" - that contains two new songs recorded specifically for this release, "Wheels" and "Word Forward". "Wheels" is already available for purchase on both iTunes and Amazon, so I snatched it up right away. The song is, of course, fantastic. It leans towards the poppier side of their sound and has a catchy as hell hook. Hopefully when the album is released "Word Forward" will be available for individual purchase and not as "Available with album only"....I hate it when Amazon and iTunes pull that shit, but that is another blog in and of itself.

"Wheels"

No comments: