Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Rockin' Out: Yeah Yeah Yeahs @ Music Hall of Williamsburg 09/29/09

The above picture is definitely my best terrible Blackberry camera shot of a concert thus far. Fortunately, the show was the polar opposite of my photography skills. In a previous post, I wrote about my great fondness for the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and explained the poor luck I've had in my attempts to see them live. Well, last night I experienced them in all their glory at the Music Hall of Williamsburg. It was awesome to not only see them live, but in a venue that is significantly smaller than they would normally play. With a giant eyeball hanging above the drum kit, sporadic confetti explosions, a funky light show and the enigmatic Karen O. charging around the stage spitting water and wearing crazy masks that lit up (for a song or two), the show was a spectacle to behold. That being said, all the bells and whistles in the world won't make a show great if the band's musical performance sucks and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs most definitely did not suck. They played all the "hits" and kept things moving along quickly. I'm not sure how long they played because I was never bored enough to check the time, but it felt like it all went by in about 5 minutes. Definitely over too fast. I'll be seeing them again this weekend at the Austin City Limits Festival. It'll be interesting to see what they do on a larger stage, but hopefully they will own it just like they did last night.

[Side note: Maybe it is just me, but I swear the Yeah Yeah Yeahs drummer looks like a young Max Weinberg and coincidentally, I am going to see Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band tonight which of course features Max Weinberg on drums. Coincidence? Or is the universe trying to tell me something?]

"Zero"


"Gold Lion"


"Maps"

No comments: