Wednesday, December 9, 2009

My Ten Favorite "Singles" of 2009


#1 Jay-Z - "Empire State of Mind"

If you live in the New York City area, used to live there, dreamed of living there or just visited once and don't like this song, then something is seriously wrong with you.

#2 Matt & Kim - "Daylight"

I hate that I love a song by this goofy guy/girl duo from Hipster Heaven (Brooklyn), but a catchy song is a catchy song. And I'll be damned if the album isn't half bad either.

#3 Lions - "Girl From The North Country"

I wrote a post about this song back in September and am still listening to it non-stop. This is a perfect example of how to cover a song by a legendary artist (in this case Bob Dylan).

#4 Rammstein - "Pussy"

Sure the video was absolutely outrageous, but there is no denying that even with a shocking X-rated NSFW video and silly lyrics, this song will be stuck in your head for days.

#5 Foo Fighters – "Word Forward"

Under the name Foo Fighters, can Dave Grohl write a bad song?

#6 Flight of the Conchords - "Hurt Feelings"

Love the HBO show, but even without the visual elements, the songs stand up on their own.

#7 Foo Fighters – "Wheels"

In an earlier post I lamented about the fact that the Foo Fighters have never done a b-sides collection, but fortunately the two new songs from their greatest hits collection are available as single song purchases, so hardcore fans won't have so search too hard for them.

#8 Fireman - "Sing The Changes"

I've always been a Stones over The Beatles kind of guy (and as long as we're comparing classic rock titans, Sabbath over Zeppelin too), but there is no denying that Paul McCartney is an amazing songwriter. This year's single for his Fireman project is further proof of this.

#9 Telekinesis - "Tokyo"

If you are interested, then I wrote a little more about this song here, but this is just indie-pop goodness.

#10 Mark Sultan - "Hold On"

Who is Mark Sultan you ask? Well, I have no frickin' clue, but one of his songs wound up on my iPod and I can't get enough of it.

No comments: