Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Flash Delirium

MGMT's debut Oracular Spectacular was one of my Top 5 favorite releases of 2008. As much as I wanted to dismiss all the hype surrounding the band due to their association with the Williamsburg hipster scene, there was simply no ignoring how incredibly catchy, hooky and brilliant the album was. They have a new album coming out on April 13th entitled Congratulations and the first single from it, "Flash Delirium" is now making the rounds on the 'ol internet.

It sounds nothing like anything on Oracular Spectacular. The intro is actually reminiscent of a Flight Of The Conchords song minus the incredibly funny lyrics and then proceeds to head in a bunch of different directions...Jethro Tull flutes, The Beatles in their drug crazy Sgt. Pepper's/Magical Mystery Tour years, doo wop, spastic keyboard heavy garage rock from the '60s and probably a few other styles I can't quite identify just yet. It isn't as immediately catchy as their previous material and that doesn't mean it is bad, but this is one of those songs where I'm going to have to spend some more time with it before finding out whether I like it or not. I'm curious about the album...a buyer from Newbury Comics said in a Facebook post today that "Believe it or not, this is one of the LEAST weird songs on it [the new album Congratulations]." Hmmm...that's either a really good thing or a really not so good thing. Guess I'll have to wait until the album drops and decide for myself.

You can download the single for free from the band's website or listen to it on Pitchfork.

No comments: