Thursday, March 11, 2010

Firing More Of My Brain Cells

I'm always preaching about how much I hate reality television and telling people that I never watch it. The "reality" though is that I do watch a a few shows. Top Chef and Undercover Boss are two that I am hooked on, but the argument could be made that those are in a dramatically different league than say, The Real World (ie. they aren't trash television). But one show I did watch every single episode of that is in the same league as The Real World is The Jersey Shore. Arguably the lowest of the low in reality television, it is nonetheless a cultural phenomenon, so I like to say that the pop culture junkie and sociologist in me is what finds it so fascinating. And let's face it, there is something oddly charming about that cast of characters...well, maybe not The Situation...that guy is definitely a legit douche. The only other reality show I "watch" is not one I am a regular viewer of. Not unlike The Jersey Shore, The Real Housewives Of Orange County is akin to a bad car wreck....you don't want to look, but you do anyway. I don't set my DVR to record this show and I don't even know exactly when it is on, but if I stumble across it while channel surfing, then I definitely stop. I've probably caught in the ballpark of 10 episodes over the past two seaons and find basically zero redeeming qualities in any of these people, but can't help but watch these vapid idiots go through the motions for an hour (Vicki is by far my most hated....she is evil incarnate).

I've never watched Donald Trump's The Celebrity Apprentice or the original The Apprentice, but I am feeling compelled to watch the season premiere of The Celebrity Apprentice this Sunday. I'm not sure if my defenses have been weakened (ie. brain cells diminished) from watching The Jersey Shore and The Real Housewives of Orange County, but the prospect of Bret Michaels, Sharon Osbourne, Goldberg, Sinbad, Cyndi Lauper, Holly Robinson Peete, Michael Johnson, Rod Blagojevich, Darryl Strawberry and a few other celebrities (who I'm admittedly not familiar with) in a competition run by Donald Trump is just too intriguing.

I'm thinking that I am dangerously close to falling into the abyss of reality television by giving this show a try. Could it be a gateway drug? Will I all of the sudden be making excuses for myself to watch Dancing With The Stars and American Idol? Or even worse....The Bachelor?

I'm scared.

No comments: