Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tuesday June 15, 2010 New Music

Only two releases that I'm particularly interested in this week:

The Gaslight Anthem - American Slang
I was first turned onto The Gaslight Anthem two years ago right when their second album The '59 Sound was being released. They were described to me as a punk rock version of Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers and Bruce Springsteen. Without ever having heard a single note, I decided to check them out live and see what they were all about. Turns out the description I was given was pretty accurate. I'm not the biggest Springsteen fan in the world, but I do love Petty a heck of a lot and what The Gaslight Anthem is doing is a good take on both of those artists with a bit of punk rock energy thrown into the mix. American Slang is their third album and if it continues down the path of their previous two albums, then it should be pretty damn good.

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - Mojo
Speaking of Tom Petty, he and The Heartbreakers have a new album out today called Mojo. I've done a couple posts in the past few weeks about new songs I've heard from this album and talked about how I really expect this album to be one of his best. I just got my "free" download of the album (it was bundled with each ticket purchased for his summer concert tour) and will be finding out in a just a bit if the other 11 songs live up the to the promise of the 4 I've already heard.

No comments: