Wednesday, November 11, 2009

School Is A Job, But You Don't Get Paid

I never got into hardcore with the exception of Sick Of It All's Scratch The Surface and everything Snapcase did from Progression Through Unlearning on, but some of the crossover acts definitely appealed to my metal sensibilities. D.R.I. was one of the more well known crossover bands and my metal friends and I definitely dug 'em. This morning while out for a run with my iPod's newly created 90's metal playlist on shuffle (I did a smart playlist that pulled together all releases between '89 - '99 in the metal genre), the song "Beneath The Wheel" from D.R.I.'s Thrash Zone came up. I haven't listened to this album in a long time, but remember this particular song being somewhat of an anthem in high school (for me at least) because of the lyric "Run! Make the grade, School's a job, but you don't get paid". While Dirty Rotten LP and Dealing With It are usually considered their greatest albums, Thrash Zone has always been my personal favorite and hearing the great "single" Beneath The Wheel this morning has me fired up to listen to not only Thrash Zone, but some other crossover acts like Suicidal Tendencies and Corrosion Of Conformity (both were considered crossover before they turned into full-on metal bands and thank God they went the metal route because they put out absolutely amazing albums after their transformations...two of my all-time favorites!).

D.R.I. "Beneath The Wheel"



Suicidal Tendencies "How Will I Laugh Tomorrow"



Corrosion Of Conformity "Intervention"

No comments: