Thursday, November 12, 2009

One Dream That Won't Come True

Last night I had a dream that I had traveled to Atlantic City to see a Metallica concert and upon arrival discovered that Phil Collins had been announced as a special guest opener. In the dream, I watched both Phil Collins and Metallica perform and was ecstatic. However, when I woke up the next morning (still part of the dream) I was upset because I had drank too much and didn't remember their performances clearly, but was happy when I remembered that I would be seeing them again that evening. The dream went on a little big longer and then I eventually woke up in the real world and realized that I am actually seeing Metallica twice this weekend, but Lamb Of God will be the opener and not Phil Collins.

A couple of hours later I put the following update on my Facebook: had a dream last night that he went to see Metallica in Atlantic City and Phil Collins was announced as the surprise opener. Maybe Lamb Of God will do a Genesis cover this weekend and my dream will come partly true.

A friend commented on the update and mentioned (sarcastically) Disturbed's "Land of Confusion" cover. I don't like Disturbed, but I don't hate them either (in all honestly, I can actually enjoy Down With The Sickness every once in a while). The comment did get me thinking about Phil Collins/Genesis covers out there and one is actually hard pressed to find a really spectacular one. Phil Collins as a solo artist and as a member of Genesis has generated a more than respectable amount of hits and quality music (someday I will write a blog about the roots of my fondness for Phil Collins), so it is a bit surprising that (at least to my knowledge) he hasn't been covered more often. I know there was a Phil Collins hip-hop/R&B tribute album called Urban Renewal and along with Disturbed, Nonpoint, The Postal Service and Mariah Carey have had some mildy popular covers, but nothing really of particular note.

Anyway, I compiled a few covers of various Phil Collins and Genesis songs that I found on YouTube. Some are good, some are bad and some are completely misinformed and are just further proof that best way to enjoy Phil Collins and Genesis is by listening to the originals.

Disturbed "Land Of Confusion"



Nonpoint "In The Air Tonight"



Patterson Hood "In The Air Tonight"



The Postal Service "Against All Odds"



Bone Thugs-n-Harmony "Home"



Mariah Carey "Against All Odds"



Keane "That's All"



Ol' Dirty Bastard "Sussudio"

No comments: