Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Rockin' Out: Nine Inch Nails @ Terminal 5 08/25/09

Another terrible Blackberry camera picture, another awesome show. No real need for a detailed explanation about why this was an amazing show because it is Nine Inch Nails who are always incredible live and this was (supposedly) one of their final live shows ever, so everyone in attendance presumably felt pretty lucky to have acquired a ticket (holy run-on sentence...don't tell any of my high school English teachers). This was the third of four performances in NYC and the first of two nights at Terminal 5 (the first and second shows were at Bowery Ballroom and Webster Hall respectively). I will admit that I do not know any of the NIN albums past The Downward Spiral in and out like some other fans do, so I wasn't familiar with every single song they played (the Webster Hall show where they played The Downward Spiral in it's entirety would have been more ideal for me). That being said, I've never really met a NIN's song I didn't like, so a lack of knowledge of less well known cuts from latter albums didn't ruin my fun. I was psyched that they played their collaboration with David Bowie, "I'm Afraid Of Americans", and crowd favorites like "Terrible Lie", "Wish", "March Of The Pigs", "Head Like A Hole", "The Hand That Feeds" and of course "Hurt". Peter Murphy of Bauhaus fame joined the band on stage for "Reptile" as well as Bauhaus ("Kick In The Eye") and Joy Division ("Dead Souls") covers. I was in the bathroom when Trent announced who Peter Murphy was and not being familiar with Bauhaus, I really had no idea what was going on. My friends who love their goth seemed to be over the moon about his appearance though. I do own a copy of their album Mask that I listened to once years ago. I now have it sitting next to my stereo, so that I can give it a listen and see what all the fuss is about. Anyway, I'm really glad I was able to see one of Nine Inch Nails last (supposedly....anyone else skeptical?) live performances. Definitely one for the ages.

You can check out the full setlist for the show here. A friend of mine also taped some decent quality footage of multipe songs from not only this show, but from the Webster Hall show as well which you can check out here. Apparently, all the shows on this tour have been or are going to be professionally filmed and recorded, so some sort of album/DVD/digital download release(s) is most likely coming down the road. And it of course will totally be worth owning.

Side note: My Blackberry camera rarely cooperates with me, but every once in a while it will take a quality and/or funky looking picture. Case in point from last night:

No comments: