Thursday, August 20, 2009

Is it 2009 or 1993?

This morning I bought a ticket to see Sonic Youth with Dinosaur Jr. opening on November 21st at Terminal 5 in NYC. Just a few days later I will be seeing the Pixies at Hammerstein Ballroom on two consecutive nights. Seriously, what year is this? I'm really excited for these shows, but this would have been a dream week for me back in the early to mid-90's.

The Pixies are definitely just doing the reunion thing and cashing in, but since they put on such amazing live performances no one can really complain. Sonic Youth and the relatively recently reunited Dinosaur Jr. on the other hand are still making great music and I definitely recommend both of their latest releases, The Eternal and Farm respectively. This will be my third Dinosaur Jr. show (fourth if you count the time I saw J. Mascis billed as himself). The first time was back in college around 94/95 when I saw them at The Trocadero in Philly with KYUSS opening. Yup, KYUSS. Still can't believe I was lucky enough to see Kyuss play live and it ranks as one of my favorite shows ever. I saw Dinosaur Jr. again recently at the Music Hall of Williamsburg and J. Mascis is still one of the loudest guitar players on the planet and the show was great. This will be my second Sonic Youth show as I am seeing them for the first time at the Austin City Limits Festival in October.

Now if only Billy Corgan would stop being such a douche and get the ORIGINAL line-up of Smashing Pumpkins back together....

Check out "Sacred Trickster" from Sonic Youth's new album "The Eternal":



and "Over It" from Dinosaur Jr.'s new album "Farm":

No comments: